Ever since U.S. Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy suggested in Gentile v. State Bar of Nevada attorneys have not only a right, but an obligation to publicly advocate for clients, it has become clear that its not enough to win in court anymore, attorneys must protect their client's future profitability as well.
Legal wrangling has become the ultimate reality show and high-profile litigation means winning in the court of public opinion is just as important as winning in court. Litigants are increasingly utilizing the power of the media to not only protect their reputation but also put pressure on the other side to settle.
But lawyers aren't taught in law school how to protect a client's public reputation. Media Masters is the solution. We can work as much or as little to help strategize a media plan designed to dovetail with an attorney's litigation plan.
Media Masters litigation communication services include:
- Researching the history and perspective of the legal issue and the client's vulnerabilities to anticipate journalist questions or whistle-blower stories.
- Protecting or defending a client's reputation in support of a legal strategy. Reaching a litigant's key audiences. Learning whether, when and how to contact the news media to protect client interests.
- Developing a client's news interview skills.
- Developing talking points for a client and attorney to utilize in support of the legal and media strategy.
- Creating press releases for distribution to media outlets.
- Ensuring the legal team stays in compliance with State Bar rules for Professional Conduct.
- Design and development of online pressrooms to provide journalists with a resource for information regarding the legal issue.
- Identification of sympathetic experts for interview by the media regarding the legal issues.
- The creation of videos for distribution across online platforms that help explain a client's side of the story.